The Thriller, Filler, Spiller Method of Container Gardening
- Bold plants with height to add a vertical element
- Can be Flowering or Foliage
- Planted in center if viewed from all sides
- Planted in back if viewed from front
- Examples: Cannas, Elephant ears, Ornamental grasses, Spikes, Snapdragons, Hibiscus…
- Rounded or mounded plants
- Surround & Enhance the thriller plant
- Pick 1 or more varieties depending on planter size
- Examples: Petunias, Begonias, Coleus, Geraniums, Euphorbia, Calibrachoa, Lantana, Herbs (basil, mint, parsley), this list is virtually endless…
- Trailing plants that hang over the edge of the planter
- If container is viewed from all sides plant spillers on all sides
- If viewed from front plant spillers in front of planter
- Examples: Sweet Potato Vine, Ivy, Vinca, Bacopa, Alyssum, Calibrachoa…
Country Farm & Home’s tips for GREAT Containers all Season Long!
- Choose a quality potting mix made for containers.
- Add a slow release fertilizer to the container mix when you plant to continually feed your plants all season long. Also add a water retention product like Soil Moist to help keep plants hydrated.
- Choose healthy, quality plants with the same water & sunlight requirements for your container. At CFH we have shade & sun sections to help with this. Or ask a helpful sales associate.
- Water containers every day in the heat of the summer.
- Feed your plants! Fertilize weekly with a water soluble fertilizer. We like the Dynamic Duo from Jack’s Classic, made in PA.
- Sit back, relax and enjoy the beauty of your flowers!
Don’t have the time to plant them yourself?
- Choose from the large selection of Container Gardens on display at Country Farm and Home
- Let us Custom Plant to fit your exact needs.
- Bring in your containers or choose one of ours and let us plant them to fit your style, time schedule and outdoor living space